For railway system developers, a formal, rigorous software-development process is not only desirable, but mandatory from both the safety and business perspectives. Increasingly, rail software manufacturers apply EN 50128 as the development standard of choice to expedite the delivery of their systems as well as ensure their safety and reliability. To minimise both development schedule and overall development costs, rail software manufacturers are recognising that they can be more competitive if they leverage automated technologies that help them comply with the standard.
- Requirements Traceability. TBmanager is the only requirements traceability solution that supports the tracing of requirements, development, and verification artifacts and activities throughout the entire software development life cycle. This bidirectional traceability ensures complete coverage and impact analysis through all phases of development, from a requirement through development to verification, and the production of evidence and documentation in a comprehensive requirements traceability matrix. TBmanager inherently supports requirements-based testing, a fundamental technique to mitigate risk in rail application development.
- Code Inspection. TBvision’s static analysis capabilities help you quickly identify and eliminate latent defects in code and enforce coding standards compliance. With today’s rail applications increasing in complexity and safety requirements, you must be able to assess code quality efficiently. Manual inspection is no longer an option as it is both time-consuming and error-prone. Static analysis has been recognised as an industry best practice for quickly and efficiently improving overall code quality.
- Coding Standards Compliance. TBvision’s static analysis capabilities simplify the enforcement of coding standards across your organisation, improving the overall consistency and quality of the code. TBvision helps your team develop and enforce the coding standard that is right for you from in-house best practices and guidelines to industry coding standards or a combination of in-house and industry standards. Examples of supported standards include MISRA C, MISRA C++, CERT C, CERT C++, CERT Java, Netrino C, and JSF++ AV.
- Unit and System Testing. TBrun provides rigorous unit testing early in the development lifecycle as advocated by regulatory guidelines. TBrun automates the generation and execution of requirements-driven tests both on the host platform as well as the embedded target, and produces the necessary verification evidence for regulatory bodies. TBrun also supports regression testing, saving time and money when requirements or code change during the software development life cycle.
- Automated Test Case Generation. The TBeXtreme module provides automated test case generation that saves test generation time in comparison to manual methods. This module helps improve code quality while alleviating the onerous nature and inherent inaccuracies prevalent in a manual unit testing process.
- Structural Coverage Analysis. The LDRA tool suite lets your team meet the most rigorous structural coverage analysis requirements, including statement, branch/decision, procedure/function call, Modified Condition/Decision Coverage (MC/DC), and dynamic data flow. All of this can be shown and reported graphically, enhancing the process of producing verification evidence.
- Tool Qualification. LDRA provides support for the qualification of its tool suite for both structural coverage analysis (SCA) as well as for programming rules checking (PRC). The LDRA Tool Qualification Support Packs (TQSPs) contain the test cases to demonstrate both the SCA and PSC capabilities of the tool suite itself. In addition, associated documentation for the development and verification of the product is provided, including plans, procedures, and expected results.
- Secure Code. TBvision helps you ensure that deployed public transportation systems meet the highest security standards by assessing code against the CWE, CERT C, CERT C++, and CERT Java standards.
- Integration with Model-based Design. LDRA provides unique integrations with market leading model-based development environments including MATLAB/Simulink from the MathWorks, IBM Rational Rhapsody, and Esterel’s SCADE product line. The LDRA tool suite augments model-driven development environments through automated standards compliance checking and automated verification and coverage analysis, at the model, source, and object code levels.
The LDRA tool suite is the most complete software verification and validation solution for the development of rail system software. The tools support the entire process from requirements through deployment, and help eliminate or reduce labour-intensive and error-prone activities.
TÜV SÜD and SGS-TÜV SAAR have certified the use of the LDRA tool suite for security- and safety-critical development in the rail transportation security and safety market under EN 50128:2011, in recognition of LDRA’s own formal development and verification process and the capabilities of the LDRA tool suite.